- The top lane contains customer interaction groups. This includes: the customer, the sales team, the business management organization and the systems engineers.
- The middle lane has Product Development. This includes: design engineers (EE, ME, CE, and Magnetics) and technicians, drafting and development vendors.
- The third lane has Manufacturing functions. This includes: Manufacturing (engineering/test/process/new product introduction), purchasing and production vendors.
Beyond the expected functions of helping one: understand the process, produce a realistic schedule, monitor progress, identify critical paths, and improve the process, the swim lanes show product development tasks in a way that:
- Helps promote timely communication between functionally or geographically separated groups,
- Reveals dependancies in a way that helps team members tailor the timing and the content of their work, and
- Associates the foundation of accomplishment with a correctly functioning network, or fabric, of people.
This work was done in 1986 with MacProject on a 512K Mac